2 Peter 2:7-8
(7) and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless (8) (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)—
Apostle Peter writes to the church his second letter. Peter tells them that false teachers will come with fabricated stories and consequently mislead some believers. Peter says that even in the past there were false prophets. He therefore warns the church against believing every teacher who comes among them.
Peter further states that, these lying teachers will be punished by God. God will not spare the liars who preach lies and inconsistencies. God will surely punish them. Peter further justifies this point by emphasizing that if God did not spare angels who defied Him, surely even these ones will be punished. God who punished evil and has prepared final destruction of evil, is also the God who saved the leaders from punishment.
God saved Noah but did not spare that ancient evil world. God saved Saved Lot but did not spare the ancient cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. God will not spare this evil world but He will save you and me.
While Lot lived in the later destructed cities, Peter tells us that, Lot was always disturbed by the evil in that city. Lot did not agree with the evil he saw, he was disturbed at how evil these people were. Lot was disturbed because he was a righteous man. You cannot be disturbed by evil unless you are a righteous person.
The reason why racism and tribalism is normal to you is because you are not righteous. The reason why discrimination is a problem that can delay until further notice when it will be acted upon, is because you are not righteous. The reason why lifestyle issues like dressing, music, etc., doesn’t bother you, is because you are not righteous! Lot was righteous, therefore, the evil in Sodom and Gomorrah seriously disturbed him.
Are you disturbed at how evil church people can be to each other? Or is it normal and we should grow up and get used to this evil? Are you disturbed at how many Sabbath believers actually break it when it is convenient and don’t feel bothered that it is twenty four sacred hours? Are you disturbed at how much corruption and misappropriation of funds takes place around us and we are supposed to shut up or face the consequences? Are you disturbed at how casual we are with immoral topics? If you are not disturbed, it is because these things are okay with you and you would do the same thing given a chance. Does it disturb you? If not, be disturbed!
(4) and said to him, “Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it. ”
(5) As I listened, he said to the others, “Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. (6) Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children, but do not touch anyone who has the mark. Begin at my sanctuary.” So they began with the old men who were in front of the temple.
Ezekiel sees a vision where God goes around Jerusalem marking those who are disturbed by the evil in the city. Then God orders that anyone who is not marked. Anyone who is not disturbed by the evil going on should be put to death. Because if it doesn’t disturb you, you are okay with it. If you are okay with the evil going on, you are not righteous. Does it disturb you? If not, be disturbed!
If wrong things going on around us don’t disturb you to speak or act, you are equally evil. Silence and inaction is not from God. If you fear to be harmed. If you fear Job loss. If you fear losing favor. If you fear loss of life. If you hope silence and inaction will favor you one way or the other, you are acting in favor of evil by not being disturbed by it. Only the righteous can be disturbed by evil. Does it disturb you? If not, be disturbed!
Being disturbed doesn’t call for careless action and speech. Being disturbed is not fighting people and systems you have issues with. Being disturbed is a concern for the sin and the salvation of the sinners. Exposing the sin and embarrassing the sinner is revenge and not being disturbed. When you are getting even with leaders and organizations by exposing their wrong, it doesn’t mean you are disturbed. If you didn’t have issues with them, you wouldn’t expose them. Therefore, you have a problem with individuals and not the sin. If you have no problem with sin, it means it doesn’t disturb you and you are not righteous. Does it disturb you? If not, be disturbed!
Dear God, plant in us a hatred of sin and love for fellow sinners. Dear God, cause us to be so disturbed by the sins that it becomes impossible to remain silent or inactive even if it means we lose everything. May we be appropriately disturbed, in Jesus’ name, Amen!
- Rei Kesis YouTube Channel (subscribe, click on notification and share) –http://youtube.com/reikesis
- Rei Kesis books on Amazon (Amazon will sell and deliver anywhere in the world. For those in Kenya you can buy from any ABC close to you. ABC is Adventist Book Center) –https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rei+kesis&ref=nb_sb_noss
- Rei Kesis daily blog –https://reikesis.com/